Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Importance of a Parasol ~ Today and in Ancient Times




I’m a Civil War reenactor and a integral as well as important element
of the dress of a fashionable lady is a parasol.
A Parasol is a type of umbrella made for protection from the sun.
The word “parasol” is a combination of para,
meaning to stop or to shield, and sol, meaning sun.
A parasol is not designed to shield you from the rain.
lorraine at Spokane 2007
My friend Lorraine at Battle of Spokane Falls Event 2007
I like to design my parasols for both function and beauty.
Red Brocade Silk Parasol
“Miss Kitty” Victorian Hat & Parasol.
This Victorian parasol is a covered with rose brocade satin and accented with glorious organza lace with embroidered red roses.  The ribs of the parasol and the edge of the parasol are delicate black gimp.  The top of the parasol is adorned with a ring of red organza roses.  The handle of the parasol is tied in red satin ribbon.  This parasol is not only elegant, but will shade you from the son.
Most of my parasols are designed by special order.  This parasol is available in many colors of rose brocade satin.
Please feel free to call me at 509-233-8007 if you’re interested in a custom made parasol.
Here’s a sampling of other parasols that I’ve designed by custom orders.
Lady Aned Silk Brocade & Lace Parasol  White Lace & Red Lace Parasol
Burgundy Lace & Butterfly Parasol  450.2L

Some of my parasols are designed with layers of ruffles…
 every element of my parasols are hand stitched by me.
parasol bl   parasol bl2

The history of parasols dates back to Ancient Times.  In the Middle East there are sculptures at Nineveh  that depict parasols.  In Ancient China as far back as 21 AD they’re mentioned in writings.  In Ancient Egypt there are accounts of parasols being used on chariots as well as being carried in processions.  In 5th century BC, it’s mentioned in Greek writing that the parasol is an important articles of female use.  In ancient Rome, the parasol is mentioned as a item carried by women; it’s also mentioned in Roman poetry and epic stories.  In ancient India parasols are mentioned in stories and legends.  The Aztecs used a parasol made of feathers.  By 17th century parasols were in use throughout the world.
Kirby
I have a few parasols at my website East Angel Harbor Hat
 
However, I prefer to design parasols by custom order 
so I can match your hat and outfit perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment